Last Modified: 10th April 2018
What information we collect from you
In General. We receive and store any information you provide to us through the Site or given to us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you (“personal information“), such as your first and last name, telephone number and postal and email addresses. We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources.
Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer and your online activity when you visit the Site. For example, we may collect your IP address and information about what web browser software you use to access the Site (such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer) and referring website. Where permitted by local law, we may also automatically collect information you enter into any data fields shown on the Site, including your email address and log-in credentials. We may also collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed or bookings made. Our goals in collecting this automatic information include helping to customise your user experience and inhibiting fraud. For more information, please see the Cookies and other technologies section below.
How we use your information
Email Communications. We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of opportunities on our Site. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your apparent interests. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about opportunities available to Expedia partners through our Site. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
Please review “Display of Tailored Advertising/Your Choices” below.
With whom we share your information
We may share your information:
- With third-party vendors who provide services or functions on our behalf, including credit card processing, business analytics, customer service, marketing, distribution of surveys or sweepstake programmes, and fraud prevention. We may also authorise third-party vendors to collect information on our behalf, including as necessary to operate features of the Site or to facilitate the delivery of online advertising tailored to your interests. Third-party vendors have access to and may collect information only as needed to perform their functions and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. They are also required to follow the same data security practices that we ourselves adhere to.
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; or to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, the Site, our customers or others.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
- With your consent.
- Other than as set forth above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties, including advertisers and investors. This information does not contain any personal information and is used to develop content and services we hope you will find of interest.
YOUR CHOICES AND OPTING-OUT
You can correct or “opt-out” of receiving promotional emails from us at any time by following the instructions included in your email or by sending a reply stating your request, and we will make the requested changes. We reserve the right to email you with respect to important notices even if you have requested not to receive emails from us. Please also note that we may retain certain information associated with you, including for analytical purposes as well as for record-keeping integrity.
- You can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to sign up for Partner Central or to take advantage of certain features offered on this Site.
- You will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional emails in any such message that we send you. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages and surveys relating either to your account or to your transactions on this Site, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies from this Site, you will not be able to access portions of our Site.
Cookies and other technologies
- To help us customise the content and advertisements provided to you on this Site and on other sites across the Internet. For example, when you access a page on our Site, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers or our partners to recognise your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests. See Display of Advertising/Your Choices for more information about our online advertising practices and your choices.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of Site features and offerings, advertisements and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the travel tools offered on Site.
In addition to the above cookies, we use Local Shared Objects, also referred to as “flash cookies,” on the Site. These are used to enhance your user experience, for example, by storing your user preferences and settings, such as your volume/mute settings, and in connection with animated content on our Site. Local Shared Objects are similar to browser cookies, but can store data more complex than simple text. By themselves, they cannot do anything to or with the data on your computer. Like other cookies, they can only access personally identifiable information that you have provided on the Site, and cannot be accessed by other websites. To find out more about flash cookies or how to disable them, please visit: Flash Player Help site.
This Site may also use Web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags or Web bugs), which are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, that are placed in the code of a Web page. We use Web beacons to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our Sites to another, to deliver or communicate with cookies, to understand whether you have come to our Site from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website and to improve Site performance. We also may allow our service providers to use Web beacons to help us understand which emails have been opened by recipients and to track the visitor traffic and actions on the Site. This helps us measure the effectiveness of our content and other offerings.
DISPLAY OF TAILORED ADVERTISING/YOUR CHOICES
Data collected by this Site to serve you with relevant advertising. Expedia is committed to providing you with relevant content and information. To do this, we may, through cookies and other technologies, collect information about your activities on our Site. We use this information, together with other information we have collected about you, to serve you with ads, on our Site or elsewhere online, that match your apparent interests. So, for example, if you begin to fill out the Join Expedia form on this Site, you may see an ad for Join Expedia on this Site or on another website you visit.
Please note that we do not combine the information we collect about your activities on this Site with personal information (such as email address) to serve you with ads across other websites. We also do not share your personal information with third parties so they can serve you with advertisements. You can choose not to receive tailored online advertising on other websites, based on your activities on this Site, by clicking here or here. Note that if you choose not to receive tailored ads, you will still see online advertisements, but they will be more general and less relevant to you.
Data collected by business partners and ad networks to serve you with relevant advertising. The advertisements you see on this Site are served by us or by our service providers. But we may allow third parties to collect information about your online activities through cookies and other technologies. These third parties include (1) business partners, who collect information when you view or interact with one of their advertisements on our Site; and (2) advertising networks, which collect information about your interests when you view or interact with one of the advertisements they place on many different websites on the Internet. The information gathered by these third parties is used to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display advertisements on our Site and across the Internet tailored to your apparent interests. We do not permit these third parties to collect personal information about you (such as email address) on our Site, nor do we share with them any personal information about you.
Data collected by companies that operate cookie-based exchanges to serve you with relevant advertising. Like other companies operating online, Expedia participates in cookie-based exchanges where anonymous information is collected about your browsing behaviour through cookies and other technologies and segmented into different topics of interest (such as travel). These topics of interest are then shared with third parties, including advertisers and ad networks, so they can tailor advertisements to your apparent interests. We do not share personal information (such as your email address) with these companies and we do not permit these companies to collect any such information about you on our Site. Please click here to learn more about cookie-based exchanges, including how to access information about the topics of interest associated with cookies on your computer and how to decline participation in these programmes.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they are even aware of them. Participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organisation that is addressing this issue are in the process of determining what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. Expedia currently does not take action in response to these signals. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we will reassess how to respond to these signals.
USING THE EXPEDIA MOBILE PHONE AND TABLET APPS (THE “MOBILE APPS”)
When you use an Expedia Mobile App, including the Partner Central app, we collect and use information about you in the same way and for the same purposes as we do when you use our Site.
In addition to this, we also use some other information that we collect automatically when you use our Mobile Apps. Specifically:
- We collect information about Mobile App functionality that you access and use. This allows us to identify those areas of the Mobile App that are of interest to our customers so that we can refine and continuously improve the Mobile App. The information we collect for this purpose does not enable us to directly identify you.
- Each Mobile App will also send us error-reporting information in the event that it crashes or hangs. This enables us to investigate the error and to improve the stability of the Mobile App for future releases. As part of these error reports, the Mobile App sends us information about the mobile device type and version, the UID, the time the error occurred, the feature being used and the state of the application when the error occurred. We do not use this information for any purpose other than investigating and remedying the error.
You always have the ability to control what information a Mobile App sends to us. You can exercise this control either by changing the settings of the Mobile App under its setting menu or changing the settings of your mobile device. Alternatively, you can remove the Mobile App from your mobile device entirely and access our services through our website.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using the Site and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical and physical security procedures to help protect the personal information you provide to us. For example, only authorised employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may only do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorised persons from gaining access to your information.
The Site is not directed to children and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Should a child whom we know to be under 13 send personal information to us, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Visiting our SITE from outside the United States
How you can contact us
Expedia Group Att: Lodging Product Marketing, 333 108th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98004